Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day

On Sunday I was lucky enough to be able to celebrate my very first Mother's Day.  It really was a Mother's "Weekend" thanks to my wonderful husband and baby.

After it all, I told Chad how different Mother's Day felt actually being a Mom, rather than celebrating for my Mom.  Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing my own Mom and letting her know how much I adore her, but it was so nice to have my own day to feel appreciated and loved by my husband and son.  Especially since our life seems pretty out of control as of late.

Last Mother's Day I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with Bennett and as much as Chad and others tried to get me to celebrate it, I just didn't feel like a mommy yet.  Benny wasn't here and I wasn't yet learning the ever-changing ropes of being a Mom.



The week leading up to Mother's Day, as I had mentioned, Chad was out of town.  But he kept asking me what I wanted to do.  Being so exhausted and overworked from my week alone with Bennett, I just kept saying "I want to do nothing...literally nothing!"

If you know me at all...you know that without a shadow of a doubt, I'm a full fledged homebody.  I love being at home, because truthfully, I never feel like I am and I crave waking up and snuggling in bed with my baby and husband, knowing I have the whole day ahead of me, with NOTHING to do. 

...Something I don't think I've EVER experienced.

So with my "nothing" response, Chad mentioned he'd discuss it with Bennett and they would take care of the specifics.

...loved that by the way.

On Saturday morning, Bennett woke up around 6:00 and I brought him into our room as we snuggled in bed watching Blue's Clues til about 7:00.  That morning I went with my good friend to her wedding dress fitting while Chad gladly stayed home with Benny, trying to make up for the whole week he was away from him.  I got home around 1:00 and came home to a pristine clean (I'm talking vacuumed, scrubbed, windexed clean) home.

If you've ever read or are familiar with the book The Five Love Languages, my love language is most definitely "Acts of Kindness"...I enjoy doing nice things and going out of my way for other people and reciprocally, I love when people do the same for me.  I adore when someone takes it upon them self to help me out or lighten my load, because we all know, I'm that person who thinks I can do EVERYTHING.

My heart exploded and my cheeks were torn from side to side with a smile as big as could be.  It truly is the little things that get me.  I'm not big on receiving gifts, and Chad knows that. So it was just utterly perfect that this was his "gift to me".

I thanked him times a million as he began listing everything he cleaned.  I stopped him in his tracks letting him know, "I noticed everything"...because I truly did.  I saw that he bleached the bathrooms and I saw that he vacuumed and sorted our normally messy dining room table.  I noticed and absorbed it all.

Later that day, I made a Target run for groceries and random items.  Chad normally does our grocery shopping for the most part, but he had asked me to do it today.  Not thinking anything of it, I agreed and came home to lit candles and the perfet little card from Chad and Bennett waiting for me when I walked in.


What made me melt the most what that Chad had went through my craft box and made a card out of my own supplies!!  How fricken cute is that?  I'd prefer this over a Hallmark card ANY DAY!

The card was so sweet and told me that on Sunday, I got to pick between the movies or a day at the park for my Mother's Day present.

...he knows me so well.

I chose the movies since Chad and I rarely get to go out anymore and my Mom and Dad came over to watch Bennett while we headed to the Arclight.  We saw The Hunger Games and although I had already seen it...I wanted to see it again and that was that!  Ha.

Without a doubt, the weekend from my husband and baby could not have been any better.  I thank my stars and thank God daily for them.

xoxo,
Mommy

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect mothers day. I hardly get out to the movies either, so good pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous day. You look beautiful - I want those clothes. And I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your headband! you look so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete