Monday, March 5, 2012

Breaks.

Do you ever wish you can just slam on the breaks?
...hindering whatever is currently happening from doing just that...happening?

Have you ever just felt like falling to your knees begging for a break?
...this weekend, I sure have.



It's no secret that Bennett is and has been sick for what has felt like his entire, almost 8 month, existence. 

Since being born, he's had:
  • a sinus infection at 2 weeks old
  • a stomach virus at 3 months old
  • numerous coughs, colds, and boogers galore
  • not one, not two, but three ear infections...and rightly so, three different anitbiotic treatments
...and now, bronchitis and symptoms of RSV.



(bows head in defeat)

Chad and I went to church yesterday, minus Bennett, and my heart cried for him.  I silently begged God to give this little guy a break.  I pleaded and made deals, promising to never complain of lost sleep, time, or sanity for the rest of my time here...as long as Bennett didn't have to suffer anymore. 

Let me suffer. 
Not him.

I sat there, feeling so helpless and blank, taking deep breaths trying to suck in all the pain and discomfort that has recently taken over my son.  But in retrospect, as paralyzed as I felt dealing with Bennett's health, I also know how incredibly blessed we are.

Blessed that although so sick, we have a child that is so happy, loving and joyous, you'd hardly be able to tell he's ill.

Blessed that we have such willing family and friends who want nothing more than to see Bennett thrive.

Blessed that as much as I hate it, this is the worst we've seen...and in a larger specturm, the worst ain't so bad.  I have so much respect for parents of children with illnesses and problems ten times the enormity of Bennett's...they truly are my heros.  How do they do it?

...as much as I hate that Bennett is in day care, susceptible to all these problems, my heart smiled and I felt a sense of peace reading their monthly parent update.



...makes me mush like you wouldn't believe.

It's so Bennett.
..loving, playful, friendly Bennett.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment