Monday, April 30, 2012

Picking Battles

Us Anaya's are in the middle of our whirlwind of weddings, showers, and events galore!...and since I'm now sick AGAIN, I thought it may be best for a catch up of the last few weeks:

Bennett's standing and scooting is turning into more and more walking.  Our little explorer has such wonder and amazement, it makes my heart soar watching him seek out his own personal adventures.  I know everyone warns you that once they start moving, everything changes...but honestly, I didn't know it would be to this degree.


Bennett has become so fast and so incredibly STRONG, we literally cannot take our eyes off of him for even a second.  But what amazes me the most, is how interested Benny is in such adult STUFF.  Toys are no longer interesting or amusing.  Whatever mommy has, whether it be a phone, cup, remote, etc...Bennett wants it.  I always bring the little man into the kitchen while I cook, and normally he used to play with his alphabet magnets on the fridge or push a car on the floor, but now, the pantry and pulling out bags, food, everything really, is the funnest thing for him.

Exhibit A:


At first, being the type "A" neat freak that I am, I would immediately start putting stuff back once he pulled it out, but quickly learned I was fighting an uphill battle that I'd almost never win.

Recently I've adopted a new motto with Bennett since he's now literally a little person with emotions, likes, dislikes and preferences.  I've found myself repeating over and over again, "Pick your battles Catie...pick your battles".

If Benny wants to play in the pantry...that's fine.  He's not hurting anyone and messes can be cleaned right?  The bathroom toilet and beneath the kitchen sink are a different story.  It's all about compromise.  The last thing I'd want is to inhibit his wonder and imagination but once something becomes dangerous...Bennett knows NO means NO!

...picking my battles.  It's so simple and keeps my normally erratic mind so much more at peace.


Bennett my son, you are becoming so big.  I desperately wish every moment with you could become etched in my mind, because I so badly want to remember it all.  I could cry thinking about how happy you make your daddy and I...it's honestly so hard to explain.



Your smile is like a switch.  It can easily transform any bad mood or rough day into simply the best.  Your snuggles and kisses...please don't ever grow out of those.  I need them...like a tired head needs a pillow or like coffee when the sun comes up.  They are essential.



You are essential.
You are our happiness.
You are our everything.

We love you more than love can exude little boy.

xoxo,
Mommy and Daddy


No comments:

Post a Comment