Sunday, January 29, 2012

DIY Ombre Hair

Since having our little booger Bennett, my poor poor locks have been seriously neglected.  As much as I wish I could just go get them done whenever I want, I honestly hate giving up one of my 2 weekend days with Bennett sitting for hours on end in a salon.

If you know me at all, you'll know that I'm an incredibly impulsive person...A trait that sometimes gives Chad ulcers.  I see something I like and I want it...

like RIGHT NOW.

Yesterday while Bennett was napping, I was browsing Pinterest and saw a hairstyle I just HAD to have.



Literally within 5 minutes I was walking to the store buying hair dye, calling my sister and best friend asking them if they thought I was crazy...a rhetorical question, mind you. They both assured me that hair was fixable and with that, I took the leap.

My natural hair color is a pretty dark blonde...a color I haven't seen since I was probably 15 years old.  I bought hair color that matched my roots (my natural color) and died my whole entire head.


I'm not gonna lie, I almost had a mini panic attack because the dye looked SOOOOOOO dark, but thankfully after washing and blow drying it out, I was back to my natural color of dark blonde.  

Let's hear it for saving myself the trouble of pesky roots for a while!



Next, I mixed some bleach and parted my hair down the middle, almost as if I were going to make pigtails.  I covered the bottom 4 inches of my hair in it and covered with foil for about 10 minutes.


After 10 minutes, I removed the foil and added bleach about another two inches above where the other bleach was and also added more to the ends.  (i.e. the tips essentially get bleached twice)


After I added the second round of bleach, I kind of eyeballed how long to keep it on.  Obviously the longer you keep the bleach, the lighter it will get.  I left it on for around 10 minutes and noticed the ends were almost white.

After a quick shampoo and conditioner, I let my hair air dry since I basically just died it 3 times in the past hour.


Once my hair was finally all dried, I took a curling iron to random pieces, and of course because this is me we're talking about, teased the crap out of it.

Voila!

...I give you Ombre hair!


The ends are so much lighter than these photos do them justice and I've now become obsessed with the fact that not only was this SO incredibly easy, but also the amount of time and money this will be saving since I now can upkeep on my own!!

<3,
Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment