Thursday, August 2, 2012

Here we go again...

3 months...THREE! MONTHS!

That was the lovely, and valued amount of time since you have last been sick my little owl...three whole months.

Want to know how we feel about colds?

Exhibit A:


A picture worth a thousand words.  Have you ever seen this child look so serious, or annoyed...or like his mother? Because...we HATE colds!

Bennett my love, the first 9 months of your life was the biggest and best rollercoaster I've ever been on.  I grew as a mother, as a wife and as a person...all because of you.  You behooved me to practice patience, concern, selflessness and an all-consuming love that only a mother could know.  So many nights did we spend running hot showers, or propping you up with pillows while coating your little piggies and chest in Vicks.  Not to mention the numerous humidifier refills and crib sheet changes.

But this time…this go around at cold season, it’s different. 
As if I’m seasoned or a pro at this mommy stuff. 

Last weekend your poor little self woke up with a 101.7 fever.  In retrospect, if this was us a year ago, I'd be flipping out, crying, calling anyone and everyone trying to figure out how to fix you.  This time, I was calm.  I learned the hard way that so much is out of my hands.  So many times I prayed to take your illnesses on myself, which usually happened anyway might I add.

I simply scooped you up and patted your warm back as you melted your tiny self on my chest.  You were fire hot, but I didn't mind...snuggles and hugs are rare these days with you.



Over the next couple of days, your fever passed but on came the cold...which I knew would happen.  Again, instead of feeling defeated or helpless, your dad and I just turned on parent mode, sucked it up and cleaned up puke and boogers like it was no big deal. TMI, but it's just the facts.

One day, when you're a parent Bennett, you'll learn...I promise.

So, thank you my son for being so great when you feel so terrible.  Thank you for teaching me that I still have so much to learn.  And thank you of course, for just being you.

I love you,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment